Due to multiple reasons, your system starts showing diminishing performance over time. If you are facing performance issues on your Windows PC and trying to find out a solution for this, then this article is worth read for you. Here, we have discussed 10 simple yet effective ways to help you enhance your computer speed & performance.
Try the Performance Troubleshooter: Try this built-in useful feature on Windows to automatically find & fix various performance issues. The Performance Troubleshooter on your system helps you check for various issues that might slow down your computer performance. To open Performance Troubleshooter, click on Start button > Control Panel. Now type “troubleshooter” in the search box and select Troubleshooting option. Click on “Check for performance issues” under System and Security. It will help you find & fix all performance issues automatically.
Turn off visual effects: Built-in visual effects may make your system look prettier, but it consumes a lot of system resources and makes your system run slow. To disable visual effects on your PC, follow these steps.
- Open Start menu > Control Panel.
- In the search box, search and select “Performance information and tools”.
- Tap on Adjust Visual Effects option. Fill in administrator password or confirmation if needed.
- Tap on Visual Effects tab.
- Click on Adjust for Best Performance and then click OK.
Note: You can also select the “Let Windows choose what’s best for my computer” option if you want your system to decide the visual effects for optimized usage.
Use Disk Cleanup: You can use built-in Disk Cleanup utility to find & clean all junk files in a jiffy. To use this utility, follow these steps
- Search “Disk Cleanup” in the search bar on the taskbar and select it from the results.
- Here, you will find a pop-up window where you need to select the drive that you wish to clean.
- Once the drive is selected, it will scan the selected drive and display scan results on Disk Cleanup window.
- Now, sift through all files & folders to select ones that you want to delete.
- To delete any given item, simply choose it from the list and press the OK button.
Note: You can click on the “Clean up system files” option to clean unnecessary system files in a jiffy.
Manage Startup Items: You can manage your startup items to speed up your boot process. To manage startup items, follow these steps.
- Right-click on the taskbar and select Task Manager.
- Click on More Details option.
- Tap on Startup tab.
- Here, sift through the startup items to find ones that you want to disable.
- To disable any of these items, select it and press the Disable button.
Update Drivers: Up-to-date Windows drivers help you boost system performance significantly. To update Windows drivers, follow these steps.
- Search & select “Device Manager” from the search bar on the taskbar.
- Once Device Manager window is open, expand the category of device to which you want to update.
- Select the category and right-click on it.
- Here, select “Update Driver” from the options.
It will display you 2 options:
- Select “Search automatically for updated driver software” to update driver software automatically.
- Select “Browse my computer for driver software” to browse the location manually to locate and install driver software.
Uninstall Unnecessary Apps: By uninstalling unnecessary apps & programs, you not only manage to recover lots of valuable disk space, but it will also speed up your PC performance. To uninstall unneeded apps, follow these steps.
- Head to Start menu > Settings and select System option.
- Head to left-panel and choose “Apps &Features” option. It will display you all installed apps on your system.
- Sift through the apps’ list to find app/s to uninstall. To uninstall any app, select it and press the Uninstall button given below the selected app.
- Confirm the deletion to get rid of the selected app.
Update Software: Updating software is the next best solution, you can follow to enhance system performance. To do this, follow these steps.
- Go to Start menu > Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update.
- Now click on Check for Updates option to find & install all available updates.
- Restart the PC once all updates are downloaded & installed.
Defrag System Storage: Fragmented disk space cause various performance issues on your system. Thus, it is best to defrag it using built-in utility. To do this, follow these steps.
- Search “defrag” in the search bar on the taskbar.
- Select “Defragment and optimize drives” option from the results. It will take you to Optimize Drives window.
- Select the drive that you want to defrag here, and press Optimize button to instantly defrag it.
Change Virtual Memory Size: Your system sets the initial minimum size of the paging file equal to the amount of RAM on your PC. AT the same time, it sets maximum size equal to equal to three times of the RAM installed on your PC. Here, if you are getting regular alerts & warnings that your virtual memory is low, then it’s time to increase the minimum and maximum sizes of the paging file. To do this, follow these steps.
- Click on the Start menu.
- Right-click on Computer and select Properties.
- Select Advanced System Settings from the left pane. Fill in administrator password or confirmation if prompted.
- Click on Advanced tab and click on Settings under Performance option.
- Tap on Advanced tab and click on Change under Virtual Memory option.
- Uncheck “Automatically manage paging file size for all drives” option.
- Here, select the drive that contains the paging file you want to change under Drive (Volume Label).
- Tap on Custom Size option.
- Here, fill in the new Initial Size (MB) or Maximum Size (MB), click Set and tap OK.
Check Your Computer’s Speed: Windows offers a useful tool called Windows Experience Index to help you check and rate your system’s speed. It rates your PC on five key components and adds up the number for each. In addition to an overall base score. While the base score is equal to your worst-performing component subscore, it ranges from 1 to 7.9. If you find the score for your system is rated lower than 2 or 3, then it’s time to consider buying a new PC.
So, these are a few simple yet effective tips you can follow to enhance your computer speed & performance. If you find these tips & tricks useful, then feel free to comment below. You can even share more tips if you have tried them.
Why visiting Bali should be in your Bucket list?
A guide into how Root Canal is done
Tour packages for Sikkim
Factors to be considered before WordPress theme for your Website or Blog
Reasons Why PHP is Getting Popular Among Web Developers
Follow some awesome way to recite the Quran
7 Ways to Speed Up Internet Real Fast
Make a statement with your home: Avail a personal loan for home improvement
How to use WooCommerce in your online store?
Moving to Miami Dade County
The Future is Now with AWS Certifications
Do you have a hole in your pocket? Maybe it’s your Old Car.
Reasons why people love riding a motorcycle instead of driving a car?
7 Celebrities Who Are Huge Fans of Theme Parks
The top 5 tips for maintaining your tyres
Things to Consider When Hiring a Home Renovation Company
5 Best Meal Prep Recipes For Weight Loss
6 Clues You’re Not Hitting The Mark With Your Marketing
Know The Importance Of Door Locks
How To Make Your Home More Comfortable
- Home Improvement2 years ago
How To Decorate Home With Vintage Home Accessories
- Finance1 year ago
Get Ready Before it is too late! Hire a Tax Specialist to Get Your Taxes Prepared
- Technology8 months ago
The Trend of Android TV Box
- General1 year ago
What Makes XLPE Insulation so Special for Users?
- Digital Marketing6 months ago
5 Not Obvious Ways to Promote Your Blog
- Home Improvement2 years ago
Best Roof Design for Snow
- Software1 year ago
How to Choose a Web Development Platform for Small Business
- General1 year ago
Why Wear Lederhosen in the Customary Fashion with Suspenders?