Remedies for a Sinus Headache. Sinus is a common Headache, which people in most cases confuse with Headaches, or Migraines. While it is something entirely different. It is a side effect of sinusitis, and it occurs when the lining of the sinus membrane becomes inflamed and swells. Generally, it is a major reason for pain and causes sensitivity in the area, where it occurs. Also, people generally tend to visit a Doctor, whenever they are to treat it, but for the good news, we share with you some amazing Home Remedies for a sinus headache. Read below to find out How to Get Rid of a Sinus Headache?
How to Get Rid of a Sinus Headache? Best Home Remedies for a Sinus Headache:
Well, if you are looking for some Real Tips that Work for Sinus, here are the Best Home Remedies for a sinus headache.
1. Steam Inhalation – This one relieves nasal congestion caused by sinusitis, common cold and other sinus and respiratory conditions. When warm air is introduced into your nose, the hot steam moistens the nasal passages. This, in turn, helps in clearing up your blocked nose and opening up your congested sinuses. Not only does it drain the mucus out, but also assists you to breathe easier.
How to Use:
- Prepare a big bowl of hot water (preferably freshly boiled).
- Add a few drops of anti-inflammatory essential oils, like peppermint, tea tree, eucalyptus, etc. The essential oil is optional.
- Lean forward over the bowl and cover your head and the bowl with a towel in such way that the steam does not escape. However, remember to maintain a distance of at least 30cm to avoid burning your face (yes, steam can burn your skin).
- Breathe through your nose, and inhale the steam.
- Do this for 1 to 2 minutes, or for as long as you can tolerate it.
- Remove the towel and relax until you feel cool and comfortable.
- Repeat the inhalation process again.
- At any point, if the steam makes you uncomfortable or should you feel a burning sensation, remove the towel immediately and let your face cool down.
- Make sure that you take precautions to avoid burns, especially if you are using it for children, the elderly or pregnant women.
This is one of the best remedies for sinus headaches as it reduces inflammation of the sinus passages to drain the mucus. This automatically reduces the pressure that causes the painful headaches.
2. Alternate Hot and Cold Compress – When there is a blockage in the sinus, it causes pressure on the face, around the nose and forehead, which later causes a throbbing headache. For sinus headaches caused by this pressure, alternate hot and cold compress serves as the most effective remedy. While the warm moist heat applied directly to the sinus area helps in easing pressure and loosening thick mucus, the cold compress helps in constricting the blood vessels in the sinus region, relieving pain caused by the pressure.
How to Use:
- Take some hot water in a bowl. The temperature should be tolerable by your facial skin without causing any discomfort or risk of burns.
- Soak a face towel in the water and wring out excess water.
- Now fold the towel and place it over your face, covering your nose, forehead, and cheeks – areas where you feel the pressure.
- Leave it in place for 3 minutes or so.
- Remove the towel and soak it in the cold water next, wring out excess water and place it over your forehead.
- Leave it on for 30 seconds.
- Close your eyes and relax.
- Repeat this 2 to 4 times every day.
- This is an effective home remedy that is tried and true. If you want to relieve sinus headaches caused by pressure, use this process and you will find that it works wonders.
Also, Sinus Headache can be associated with a Stuffy Nose. (Read here the Full Guide on How to Get Rid of a Stuffy Nose).
2). Cinnamon: This kitchen spice can do more than making sumptuous dishes. It can alleviate the worst of sinus headaches in a jiffy. What’s more? It is an inexpensive yet highly effective remedy.
Mix a tbsp. of powdered cinnamon with half the quantity of pure sandalwood powder. With a few drops of water, make a smooth paste.
Apply this paste to your head. And let it stay on till it dries up.
You can repeat this remedy till a headache is gone.
3). Spice up your diet: Spicing up your diet will also do the trick. Add mustard and peppers to your cooking daily and watch your headache disappear. Studies suggest that capsaicin is an active ingredient in peppers that alleviates pain without side effects.
4). Hum Away: Did you know that humming your favorite notes can help in reducing sinus pain? It’s not the song, of course, it’s the humming itself. Some Swedish doctors opine that humming helps in increasing the airflow in your nostrils and sinuses. It is also said to elevate the levels of nitrous oxide in your nasal passage. And this, in turn, helps in reducing the pain associated with a sinus headache and mitigates the risk of contracting sinusitis.
5). Maintain a diary: As tempted as you may be, avoid getting into the vicious circle of nasal sprays. Yes, they do provide relief, but it is only temporary. Within a few days, these sprays will worsen the sinus pressure and congestion. Maintain a diary to understand what triggers a sinus attack, and steer clear from those pain triggers. When you have a sinus allergy avoid swimming, flying and even diving.
6). Massage: Massaging is a sure shot way to chase a sinus headache away. If you cannot get someone to massage your head for you, use your fingertips to gently massage the areas of your head that are stricken with pain. Your thumbs, in particular, can help reduce the pain considerably.
How to do:
- Place your thumbs just above your eyebrows.
- While applying a little pressure, pull your thumbs down towards your hairline.
- Use this technique to massage your forehead gently.
- So, this was it for now. I hope you found this article useful. If you did, then share it with your friends who you think might need it.
Broken Hip: Treatment & Recovery
How is CBD different from marijuana?
What It Takes To Become A Good Recruiting Agency?
Important Things To Know Before Hiring Landscaping Contractor
Why it is Absolutely Necessary to Optimize Your Content for Voice Search SEO
Wooden vs. Plastic Crates
Guide to Buying Medical Emergency Trolleys
How Cosmetic Packaging Helps To Get More Sales
How to Give Your Brand a Voice on Social Media
Finance8 months ago
Get Ready Before it is too late! Hire a Tax Specialist to Get Your Taxes Prepared
General8 months ago
What Makes XLPE Insulation so Special for Users?
Home Improvement12 months ago
Best Roof Design for Snow
Software8 months ago
How to Choose a Web Development Platform for Small Business